MOODS AND REALITY

If you think your moods don't affect your perceptions, here are some examples of how my own reality is colored by how I feel on a given day.
     If I'm hungry during one of my beach walks, It's amazing how many things will remind me of food. The sun is an egg yolk. The long, thin sea grass, which lies coiled in heaps upon the sand, looks like cooked spinach spaghetti. Clam and oyster shells remind me of an oyster bar. The overcast sky is like a dimly-lit restaurant and a few puffy white clouds are whipped cream.
     Kelp bulbs broil in the sun. Tiny crabs that scurry over the sand will grow into delicious Dungeness crabs. Kelp is the color of Dijon mustard.
     See what I mean!
     Now let's say I'm in a sad mood, disappointed perhaps that a book event has been cancelled. I now notice things I did not pay attention to before: bird droppings, litter, the patches of blackened sand, broken seashells smashed by uncaring people, dilapidated houses lining the beach, seaweed being attacked by sandflies, rocks as splintered as my hopes.
     Want more? How about suffocating humidity, lonely cliffs,  a solitary seagull staring straight ahead, palm trees with scorched leaves, an abandoned plastic shovel, murky algae, smelly kelp, piercing wind, wavelets collapsing on the beach.
     What if I'm feeling frustrated? Recently, I forgot to bring my hat to the beach and was utterly annoyed. After only a few minutes, I felt the intensity of the burning sunrays on my face and worried that I might get a bad sunburn without my protective hat.
     The wind started to blow in strong gusts. My new hairstyle was replaced by a tangled, disheveled mess.
     I never see anyone I know during my frequent walks. But, of course, now I did. And who was it? A well-known book agent. He would not have recognized me if I had remembered to wear my large canvas hat.
     Then, when I had just decided nothing else could go wrong, I looked up at a line of seagulls flying directly over my head.
     Splat!
     I really should have worn my hat.

Comments

Beth Giordanni
01/13/2014 6:08pm

After reading this blog, I firmly resolve to wear my hat next time I go for a walk at the beach. Again, you had me laughing long and hard. Thanks for your entertaining stories.

Frank Stevenson
03/04/2014 4:21pm

This just goes to demonstrate how one person's reality is not always the same as another's---even when they are in the same place at the same time.

05/19/2014 5:12am

Likes substantially improve the acceptance within just your site and while using the proper vary depend; several individuals will be drawn to your account. The providers that give these specialist providers, will existing you with non-automated or robotic likes and provide you with genuine Instagram likes. The nice matter referring to this is definitely the point they might be immediately despatched toward your account hence you tend not to want to go to that significantly. And when you are a organization, escalating your Instagram likes will almost certainly be beneficial.

02/21/2016 12:15pm

We all walk under the weather, and have limited time here. I liked your post because of postitvity that it brings, good job!

03/27/2016 10:06pm

Many psychic readers and other enlightened people practice meditation. A mindful walk on the beach may be just the ticket to better spiritual, mental and physical health. Incorporating meditation into your summer opportunities to experience the beach is a fabulous way to enjoy the summer and benefit your mental, physical and spiritual being. To know more, please visit baligardenbeachresort.com.

05/05/2016 10:47pm

Moods are affecting our perceptions so hard!

05/09/2016 4:07am

Nice examples. I like this post very much!

05/27/2016 1:45am

beach is really a good place to relaxation. many beaches around the world who have a quite beach so you can enjoy the wave the sun and the sand. instead of beach you can enjoy relaxation in near forest. so your body become more fresh because the fresh air. if you want know about that place you can find in http://www.landhoteldiever.nl/.

06/06/2016 10:40am

Very efficiently written information. It will be valuable to everyone who uses it, including myself. Thanks a lot!!

06/21/2016 3:09am

we are specialists in all types of cakes. we take cake order for every special occasions of yours like birthday, wedding , engagement ,farewell etc., and yes we do provide home delivery service.

06/23/2016 3:03am

Hi I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed browsing your website and to wish you the best of luck with it in the coming years - Adyson Hairdressing